Trail Communications

Each Run Leader will Specify which type of Radio will be Required on their  Run.  They specify either CB or Ham but not both.

See each Run Announcement. All participants must have the Radio type specified in the Run Announcement.

We prefer Ham Radios because they have better range and reception quality than CB .  On 90% of our Runs Ham Radios are Required.   Inexpensive Hand Held Radios are available for less than $30 on Ebay or Amazon (Baofeng UV-5R) .  We encourage all 4 wheelers to get their license but we do not Require a license.  The FCC does not require licenses to buy or monitor Ham Radio or to transmit in an emergency.   A license is easy to get but even if you never intend to get your license we suggest buying an inexpensive Ham radio for your 4×4.  See (Baofeng UV-5R) These are Excellent radios so if you don’t want to spend a lot of money for a more expensive Mobil Radio the Baofeng is a good choice.
On Runs our preferred frequency for Ham Radio is 146.550 MHz.  For the runs where CB is Required, our preferred channel is 14.

See:  Alternate Frequencies